Sunday, February 28, 2010

20 Weeks 5 Days: Greatest joke of recent times

Ever since, we got suaned by Dr Ong for our heroism, i have been extra attentive to Andre's health. Perhaps a little too attentive to the point of being paranoid.

1st thing in the morning, i felt Andre's forehead. Cold. Something's not right. 35.5 degrees. Hey, this is wayyyyyyy too low (by my standards). Searched the internet, everywhere mentioned what you should do during a fever, but nothing abt being too cold. Looked at Andre, he's pretty active. Okie, i'll observed....

Throughout the day, Andre's feeding not too well. So weird, but the boy seems happy and playful.

The ultimum came at 11.30pm when i woke him up for his medicine. 34.6 degrees. Oh dear, is he really suffering from hyperthermia? That can cause brain damage you know... Paniced and called KKH helpline. The nurse advised us to bring baby immediately down to the A&E to be checked out. Upong hearing, i immediately woke gong gong up to accompany me (dad's not back yet). My hands were trembling while i gathered my stuff and the baby.

At Mount Alvenia, they scanned his forehead... 36.6! (deow! duh!). Used the armpit temp, 35.8 degrees. Dr took a look and said its within normal range. I mentioned the risk of hyperthermia and he gave me this weird look and said "Hello, this is Singapore! You'll only get hyperthermia if you stay in Iceland".. I was so embarressed and silly that i almost sank into the ground. He made me feel like a total nut case, like someone seeking heat stroke treatment in the Artic. After paying $46 for this lil advice, we reached home at 1 am. Now i need to prepare myself for more suaning, from my family ...

Post event analysis: I suspect the cold reading came about this way. You know when you have a fever, your pores close and heat is trapped in your body. When you recover, your pores open to release the heat and regulates temperature. As the pores open, Andre started to sweat buckets. When they evaporate, they create a cooling effect on the skin.

Though silly as it seems, i was still glad in a way i went to the Dr. At least i slept well that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment